My Cystoscopy Found Nothing Wrong


I had my cystoscopy done by my urologist at a local Vancouver hospital yesterday. I was hoping that I would get answers on if I had a UTI, Interstitial cystitus, bladder inflammation or bladder cancer. In the end, I was told I had a "beautiful bladder" with nothing wrong about it. According to her, it looked perfectly healthy. What is a cystoscopy? Read here on Wikipedia if you don't know. I highly recommend you go for a cystoscopy if you have chronic UTIs, recurring non-stop UTIs, or IC symptoms just to see if there is anything going on inside the bladder.

I was relieved but also depressed at the same time, because now this meant there was no clear cut answer. I have all the symptoms of a UTI and IC, but which one is it? I was given 6 weeks of low dose antibiotics (1 Macrobid 100mg per day) and some bladder relaxants (Toviaz and Myrbetriq). After a lot of research on the internet, I chose not do do the Toviaz and Myrbetriq. Something in my gut feeling told me that this wasn't an overactive bladder issue, since it started with a UTI and was initially responding to antibiotics.

Next, I will be doing a micro and macro urine cultures and 2 cytology urine samples, followed by a renal (kidney) ultrasound. I am hoping I will get some solid answers after those. In the meantime, I had a kidney x-ray which showed nothing wrong either.

It gives me so much anxiety and stress on not getting solid answers. I'm going to start trying some IC natural methods soon and blog about if they work or not. I'm really hoping I don't have IC, because I've been reading articles about how it is incurable and how people suffer with it for years. However, I've read about people who have been cured by IC through diet changes and supplements along with medication, so I started reading up on those fervently. The urologist at this time thinks it may be my bladder is inflamed or irritated from having such a long string of recurrent UTIs. But something about all this isn't sitting quite right with me at the moment. I hope this is all going to be temporary.