Bladder-Friendly Fruits I Eat


To this day, I only eat 3 fruits. I didn't start to eat fruits until I was about month 7 into my healing. My chronic UTI started in February 2018, and I began to cautiously eat blueberries in September 2018. I was feeling around 55% to 65% in my long-term UTI by that point. I started with just a handful on my first try, and eventually worked my way up to half a bowl. Blueberries didn't seem to hurt my bladder so I continue on with it to this day. I eat blueberries almost everyday during blueberry season.

The next fruit I carefully tried was pear. I found that I was able to tolerate Bartlett Pear (also known as Williams Pear) and Chinese Pear (also known as Pyrus Pyrifolia, Chinese Snow Pear or Asian Pear). I don't eat it as often as the blueberries, I will probably have several pears a month.

The third fruit I did was watermelon. I rarely eat this one, maybe once or twice a month during watermelon season. I'm lazy with cutting it, so hence the rarity of eating it.

I also hear from other IC and chronic UTI patients that they eat coconut. I am unable to comment on that since my food intolerance test says I am sensitive to coconut, so I can't eat too much of that. I received some poor advice by other unhealed ICers that I could eat strawberries, apples, mangoes and pineapples. Those definitely flared my bladder whenever I had them, so I do not eat any other fruits except for the 3 that I list above - blueberries, watermelon and pear only. I reckon the flare may be due to the high acidity or certain vitamins in certain fruits that inflame my already damaged bladder lining. That is the reason why I am so cautious on fruits, because I am not completely sure which fruits may be acidic on the bladder and really flare it, and I don't want to keep experimenting to find out. That is why now, I don't listen to the advice of ICers who are not healed. I only listen to stories from those who have healed to get a clearer sense of what they ate and did.

Blueberries, watermelons and pears were listed as IC-friendly, but I still tread carefully because the IC diet list contains fruits that also hurt. If you read my old post, my healed ICer friend had once told me, "The IC diet is garbage, you need to eat cleaner and stricter than that to fully heal." Also, fruits have sugars which my e-coli love to feed on, so I eat foods that have sugars in it sparingly. The only sweets I eat are these 3 fruits and organic pure maple syrup (very sparingly). I don't eat any other form of sugar, so that my healing can go faster.

I wince when I see other chronic UTIers and ICers sharing in Facebook groups how they cannot give up sweets, and enjoy their ice cream, candies, or chocolate bars. That is why they will stay in a perpetual loop of never healing, and remaining at their current state - never getting better. All I can say to them is, "Good luck."

I don't know if avocado is a fruit or vegetable, but I do eat one everyday. It doesn't bother my bladder, but I heard that it can be inflammatory to some IC patients. Everyone is different, so experiment with your fruits to see which works for you and which doesn't.